Monday, October 18, 2010

Car Radio For Sale - Works but no Face Plate

Well not really an add in my newspaper but here is the story behind it. The weekend before my parents came to visit Holly and I, my car was broken into. I was lucky to not have anything really too important or expensive in my car. It was a Saturday morning and around 5:00 am during the middle of a thunderstorm. I was having trouble sleeping and woke up to the sound of a car alarm going off. I looked out to see my car lights flashing with a car with its lights on parked behind mine. I thought someone hit my car. I got out of bed, put a jacket and some shoes on and ran out. The car behind mine had left but I inserted my key to turn off my alarm. I opened the door and looked over at the passenger seat. It was filled with glass! Some IDIOTS had broken my passenger side window and TRIED to steal my CD player. The CD player was from my friend David that he gave to me because he had gotten a new one. It was sitting unused in his basement. I got the radio for free but it was something that had value to me because I used it almost every day. I especially liked it on long car trips. It will be missed. Thank you very much David.

The key word in this story is TRIED. They TRIED but did not succeed and just gave up because the car alarm was going off and making to much noise. They ended up doing some damage while taking just the face plate to my radio The face plate is the only way the radio will work. Here is the damage they did. I didn't take any pictures of the broken window because that day I was really upset and just wanted to fix the window. But here is one piece of glass remaining on the floor.

Here is a picture of my radio. My guess is that they went crazy with a screw driver and pretty much just started to pry where ever they could. They ripped out my vents and took off the display for the fan knobs. Don't know why they did that because the radio doesn't have any thing to do with those areas. IDIOTS!

Besides the cost of $180 for the new window to be replaced/installed and the fact they took just my face plate, this is what I was most upset about. They messed up my dash with their prying. It would really be the hardest thing to fix. I can find the new vents and thing for the display to the fan knobs at a junk yard for cheap, but the dash would be a pain to replace. Not really worth it.

When my parents came to visit, I had them bring my old radio. I just got around to installing it last week. I had to reconnect a lot of wires because I cut them all to install the other radio. But now I have it in and can listen to the radio again. I will have to work on the vents, missing one vent but could really just replace the whole thing. The fan knobs display it there but broken. Doesn't light up and is cracked in a few places. It is not as good as before but it is better. Jetta (aka Rusty) will roll on and continue being awesome with over 200,000 miles. Lesson learned by me..... don't keep anything in car, even if it was free. Some IDIOTS will TRY to steal it and end up with a face plate that is useless without the radio. Maybe they will see my add here and try to buy it from me.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that Jetta can overcome adversity and continue to roll on. :) 200,000 miles!! Woah! That's impressive.....

    ReplyDelete